"I believe in the sun even when it is not shining, in love even when I am alone, in myself even when I fail, and in God even when he is silent."

Friday, October 14, 2011

A changed person

Honestly, I am a little drained from writing all these serious posts. They are really important subjects but this one is too. It is just "lighter." I wanted to take a moment and talk about my dog. ha....yes I have turned into one of those weird animal people. If you would of asked me a year ago that I was going to feel this way about an animal, I would of said you were crazy and stop using drugs. My dog Scruff(y) (this is how my husband told me how it is written) really changed my out look on animals. Here is the story about Scruff(y)...


Shortly after Joshua and I got married he wanted a dog. I said, no if you want a pet, lets just have a baby. Same thing right?!? Honestly, I was not an animal person at all. I sort of liked other people's animals. I never wanted to own one. They were to much work and I always thought people who were crazy about their pets had a few too many screws loose. In fact, a few years ago I went on a date with my friend's older brother. Of course the date was awkward, it was the first time meeting each other. We went to Pita Jungle and of course asked the awkward first date questions. He asked me if I liked animals. Without hesitation I said NO. Well not really. That was the last I ever went out with him. My friend called me and told me how her brother thought I was kinda weird because I said I didn't like animals. This was the first time I ever was told that my not so love for animals was a weird trait I had. Why does he care that I don't like animals....My philosophy was when you have an animal, they are just an animal. Not a human being. When they die just get another one that looks like the one you had. Not a big deal. I did not understand why people had such an emotional attachment to their pet.
Back to what I was saying, when Joshua and I got married he said he wanted a dog. No way I said. He kept bugging me about it. I told him to get a fish. No, he didn't want one of those (or a baby for that matter.) Then we compromised (as healthy married people do) and agreed that we can get a hamster. One Saturday we were driving from somewhere and he said that he was taking me to a store but it was a surprise. (Nordstrom's I hoped!) We drive to PetsMart. He said it was time for us to look at hamsters. Till this day I swear he had another motive. We walk into PetsMart and surprise surprise an animal shelter was there. Every Saturday dog shelters go to PetsMart and try and get people to rescue them. We walked around and of course we looked at the dogs. I am allergic to everything so even thinking about an animal made me sneeze and itch all over. We walk around and then suddenly my eyes caught this poor unfortunate soul. 

Here was this poodle mix dog, the ugliest creature you will ever see. He was so skinny (unhealthy skinny) he had open wounds all over his body (other dogs attacked him) and was so timid. I immediately picked him up and told Joshua that we needed to save him. He looks at me says, really...out of all the dogs, you want the broken one?!? Well YES I did! He goes on to say, this dog is ugly and pathetic....and you don't even want a dog! I have been begging you and showing you pictures online of non broken ones and you kept saying no. My mind was made up. I needed to save this dog. I knew he was pathetic looking but he had my heart. I asked the employee how much he was. He told us $160. Holy crap even for this one!? I had to put him back because as a newly married couple we did not have that extra money to spend on him. I was heartbroken! We left the store and got into the car. Next thing I know the employee is knocking on my passenger window, I roll it down and he says, I think you are this dogs only hope, he has been in the shelter for a long time and almost deemed un-adoptable. If you don't take him we will put him down. I will take whatever money you have in your wallet. I was thrilled, I ran back in there and grabbed him. Joshua filled out the paper work still shaking his head saying, what the hell are we going to do with this thing! 

I can say (as well as Joshua) that it was the best decision I ever made. We kept his name the shelter gave him because in all honesty he looked Scruffy. Now Scruffy is apart of our family. I swear Joshua is more affectionate to our damn dog then he is his wife. I have never been so attached to something before (that wasn't human.) I take Scruff with me everywhere and can't imagine my life without him. He is the most spoiled dog ever. He sleeps in between us and is an amazing cuddler. That dog is so attached to me. Sometimes it will drive Joshua crazy because if I am home he won't leave my sight. Even if Joshua calls him, unless I get up and go over to him, Scruff will not go. Scruff is always falling asleep on me and loves his Mama. When we went out of town to visit my in laws in Texas I freaked out because we were going to leave Scruff with my mom for a week. I called her all the time to make sure he was okay. My mom told me that I needed help and go to a therapist, he is just a dog Rhienna!!! Well he is my dog and is exactly what I needed. He keeps me busy and keeps me company when Joshua is working. I love him so much. 


I will admit that I am completely changed. I am now a weird animal lover that defiantly has some screws loose....
                                                                        My World

The Paul's


No comments:

Post a Comment